Thursday, July 9, 2020

The Diviners - Libba Bray



Title: The Diviners 
Author: Libba Bray
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4.5 Stars 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOMETHING DARK AND EVIL HAS AWAKENED… Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult. Evie worries her uncle will discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer. As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho is hiding a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This is a book I have been meaning to read for a long time, and once I actually got into it, I fell in love!  This whole book just speaks to me.

There was so much to this story, from the struggle of these young people living in 1920's New York City WITH SPECIAL POWERS, to the fact that they were trying to stop a murderer, and just so much more.  

I loved the way this story was written, I loved the way each chapter flowed together so well and added so much to each other part of the book, I loved all the characters, even the ones that were a bit...dippy (Evie.)  

I admit I do agree that Evie seems a bit surface level and seems like she doesn't really care about anyone else other than herself. That's obvious. But I think she does grow toward the end, I really do, and I think she can see that she needs to start being more open and receptive to other people.  I think she starts to realize and learn that life isn't always going to revolve around her.  Also, something to keep in mind is that this girl is 17 - she's still a teenager, and it's really in a teenagers psychology to have this sort of attitude that the world is all about them. Luckily most teens grow out of that and learn to evolve and think more about others as well. 

The other characters were just - wow. I literally couldn't think of a single character in this book that I didn't like.  Well, okay, Naughty John was, you know, the literal worst, but other than that I loved every single character. I do believe my favorites were Theta and Memphis.  They were just amazing.  I loved the growth, development, and evolution of all the characters. I loved the way the characters meshed so well together and added so much to the flow of the story.  There wasn't any single character who didn't fit in here, and who didn't add their own thing to this book. 

The whole story flowed well together, each chapter adding more and more depth to what was happening throughout this book.  The writing kept me hooked and made me want to finish.  It was definitely a YA book, but the author did a good job of writing it in a way that I could easily forget that the main characters are much younger than me.  

There was also some surprise and intrigue throughout this story as well that kept me going - I was not expecting to learn what I did about Jericho, for example.  I feel like the author didn't overuse the element of surprise - there was enough surprise in the book to move the story along and keep you hooked, but not so much that it felt tired.  

I think the author did a great job if including some accuracy with the story.  She did have to take some dramatic liberties of course, but even with that, I think you can definitely get the feel of 1920's New York in this story, from the way they talked, to the places they visited, to the clothing they wore.

All in all, if you are looking for a wonderful historical mystery with plenty of flair, read this book now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment