Wednesday, January 26, 2022

The Mary Shelley Club - Goldy Moldavsky

 


Title: The Mary Shelley Club 
Author: Goldy Moldavsky 
Format: Hardcover 
Rating: 5 Stars 


I've only started reading horror regularly in the past couple years, and so I still feel like I never really know what to expect.  The Mary Shelley Club definitely went above and beyond and was a great foray into everything I'd want in a scary book. 

This book has all the twists that you'd expect in a horror book. It starts with something horrific, and gives the readers enough scare from there to make them wonder why they're continuing his book!  You'll never want to head out into a forest again.

The characters were teenagers, so there was the teen angst and stuff that you'd expect - surely we can give kids a break as they grow and try to navigate the world around them! But I thought all the characters were well written and had personalities that really added to the story as a whole.  I feel like the characters really played well together and off of each other.  Each person had different things that added to the group dynamic of the Mary Shelley Club, and to their school and personal life environment.  The small bits of information we get about certain characters throughout the book really adds to the book as well. 

The fact that this book opened with quite a punch, then just continued to pack in so much twist was fantastic. Throughout the book, there are several things that happen that tie everything together and make the reader realize that Rachel is in more trouble than she realizes. I loved the foreshadowing, as well as the snippets of Rachel's past that we see - it all builds up to add a lot of depth to the story. 

I feel like there was a lot of good development in terms of the fear tests that each person had to do as well.  Each test really tied well into what the overarching plot and theme of the book were.  That added a lot to the story that I really loved. 

The only thing I didn't love was that the ending felt sort of rushed and just a little too neat. It would have been better if there had been more of a punch and a motive at the end for everything that had happened.  Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I'd definitely recommend it to all of you! 

If you've already read this book let me know what you thought in the comments. 




No comments:

Post a Comment