Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Wonder - RJ Palacio


Title: Wonder
Author: R.J. Palacio
Rating: 4 Stars

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s probably worse.


August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER, now a #1 New York Times bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Now, y'all - I have to tell you: I watched the movie FIRST!  SHOCK AND AWE.  I know - I get all the bookish disappointment for that one, right?! 



Anyway, I finally read the book - and even though the writing was super easy for me, I still rated it 4 stars, because I had to keep in mind it is technically a middle grade book, and I am clearly not a child aged person. 

The book was cute, and truly wonderful.  The characters were fantastic and all so well written. Each character was well-developed with their own distinct personalities, and things that were totally unique to them.  

I really enjoyed the development of the story as well.  From Auggie's hesitance at attending a new school to his meeting new friends, and through to his encounter with bullies at the end who break his hearing aids, everything was just right in this book and even though it was a quick read - I didn't want to put this book down at all.  

This book did a good job of showing that even kids can overcome difficulties on their own, if they have adults who teach them well.  Yes, sometimes kids need help, and this book shows that as well.  BUT, it shows that kids are stronger and kinder than adults sometimes give them credit for, and kids can and will overcome and do good things if adults help and teach them well.

This is a book I would recommend to any kid or adult looking for a fun and fulfilling book to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment