Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Horrorstor - Grady Hendrix

 

Title: Horrorstor
Author: Grady Hendrix
Format: EBook
Rating: 5 Stars 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Something strange is happening at the Orsk furniture superstore in Cleveland, Ohio. Every morning, employees arrive to find broken Kjerring bookshelves, shattered Glans water goblets, and smashed Liripip wardrobes. Sales are down, security cameras reveal nothing, and store managers are panicking.

To unravel the mystery, three employees volunteer to work a nine-hour dusk-till-dawn shift. In the dead of the night, they’ll patrol the empty showroom floor, investigate strange sights and sounds, and encounter horrors that defy the imagination.

A traditional haunted house story in a thoroughly contemporary setting, Horrorstör is designed to retain its luster and natural appearance for a lifetime of use. Pleasingly proportioned with generous French flaps and a softcover binding, Horrorstör delivers the psychological terror you need in the elegant package you deserve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was the first book I've read by Grady Hendrix, and I really didn't know what to expect when I started.  I ended up loving the book more than I thought I would.  I say that because I don't read a lot of out and out horror books.  So, when I do read them I don't really know what's going to happen.  

I got sucked into this book from the start.  The writing was good enough to make me want to keep going, and the humor at the beginning of the book had me laughing out loud.  I loved the way the characters in this book played off each other throughout the entire story.  I think that the characters fit well into this book based on their personalities, and each character was so well written that I could see them being part of a horror story, to be honest. 

The characters were so well written, and even though it was a short book in the fact that most of it was over a 24 hour period, Amy did a lot of growing and self searching in the book and came to a lot of realizations about herself.  Much of that was thanks to Ruth Ann being so blunt with Amy about her attitude and behavior. It was good to see that Amy developed and matured through the event in this book. She really came to realize that it was important to care about people besides herself, no matter what position she was at in life.

I won't say that this book was realistic, but the way it was written made the outrageous events of the story flow together so well.  Let's be honest here - how many times do we read a horror book, or watch a horror movie, and think "Right, that could never happen in real life." It's not the realism that draws us in, it's the story, and this story drew me in.  It packed a punch, and made me sit up and go "Oh," more than once. 

The characters really developed a bond with each other in this book as well, although the end did shake that up a bit.  Going through a traumatic event like what happened in this book tends to bond people in some way. I think that was the right way to develop the characters, because they couldn't have gone through that without some sort of connection.

This book had what you would typically expect in a horror book as well.  Lots of blood and gore, plenty of surprises and twists, and  the bonus of some comedic moments thrown in near the beginning of the book. The events of the book, shocking though they were, fit well together, and the backstory added even more to the events that take place in the night that the story takes place.

Have you read this book yet? If so drop me a comment below and let me know what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment