Saturday, February 2, 2019

P.S. I Still Love You - Jenny Han

Title: P.S. I Still Love You
Author: Jenny Han
Format: Paperback
Rating:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.  When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This sequel to the novel To All The Boys I've Loved Before felt just marginally more well developed than the first book. Although I did like this book ever so slightly more than its predecessor, there were still too many things about this book that I did not like.

What I Liked: 

Once again, I found that Kitty was my favorite part in this book. She expresses everything that is just so charming and yet morbid and dark. 

Chris was actually present more in this book as a friend figure, and I felt like that was something that was really lacking from the last book. I still don't know that I see what Chris and Lara Jean have in common to be friends, but at least she is more present in this book.

The Assassins game - I think this just sounds like a fun idea!

I do love that this book, just as the first, shows great family dynamic and has Korean characters in it.  I think it's important that their dad is so present is important, because there are so many YA books with absentee parents.  As if teens don't need their parents?!



What I Didn't Like:

THE "LOVE TRIANGLE"!  I put love in quotes, because I felt like, even though there was this introduction of a third person in the series as an interest, there just wasn't much of a love interest between Lara and John until after she and Peter broke up (again, and for real.) At least, it didn't fee like there was much there to me - especially from Lara Jean's perspective. This was forced and completely unnecessary.

In this book Kitty turns 10.  She's young.  But yet, Chris and Lara Jean did not have any issues talking about sex in front of her.  Not only that, but Kitty - little 10 year old Kitty - KNOWS MORE ABOUT SEX THAN LARA JEAN!  Now just to be clear, I believe in teaching people age appropriate comprehensive sex ed. However, a 10 year old knowing more about sex than her 16 year old sister is not age appropriate.  Kitty should be learning about periods, not sex.

Why did Peter think it was okay to be there for Gen all that time but not for Lara Jean?!  I fully understand that Gen is Peter's first love, blah blah blah. BUT, they aren't together anymore, and given how toxic their relationship is, he really should be cutting her out for a while - especially since Lara Jean is his girlfriend now!  I think it's fair that their relationship ended, and I can't for the life of me figure out why Lara Jean was back together with him at the end.  He treats her like crap because "Gen needs me" and she just takes him back?! UGHHGGGGWFHIO





No comments:

Post a Comment